Monday, February 16, 2009

An Early Spring

On February 2, our local groundhog saw his shadow--a sure sign that we're in for six more weeks of winter weather. Since the dreaded shadow was spotted, the high here in Athens has hovered around 65, give or take ten degrees. Could the groundhog be wrong or is six more weeks of winter weather ahead?

Growing up in Kentucky you could pretty much count on at least six more weeks of winter weather no matter what the groundhog saw. Even so, when the groundhog did not see his shadow, I held on to the belief that spring was just around the corner and planned accordingly. I don't recall that spring ever came in six weeks or less, but I never stopped believing that it could.

The possibility of more cold weather in the next month or so is not enough to deter my belief in an early spring. It sure looks like spring around here. Daffodils are blooming all over town. My star and loebner magnolias are blooming, and the buds on my camellias are starting to open, too. These are some of my favorite flowers, probably just because they are among the first to bloom in my yard every year.

It's really not in my nature to believe the groundhog could be wrong. Yeah, I realize the little varmint gets it wrong at least as much as he gets it right. Don't bother me with facts! I'll grab on to just about anything that will let me believe that spring is just weeks away.

No comments:

 
Follow CrotchetyMan on Twitter