Saturday, September 25, 2010

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

The hinge on my cellphone broke months ago. To talk I have to hold the phone together with both hands. If I ever actually got a call, the broken hinge would be a real problem.

When the hinge broke I popped in to check on the cost of a new phone. Turns out, unless you're signing up for new service or renewing your contract, cellphones are friggin expensive! I decided to wait until my contract ends.

I didn't get a cell phone until 1998. That phone looked a lot like the cordless phones available now for landlines and was nearly as large. I had to pay roaming and long distance charges and frequently found myself in areas with no signal.

The flip phone I have now was old technology when I got it. The GPS feature was a major selling point. Turns out, you have to pay extra to actually use it. I might use the camera if I could figure out how to get the pictures off the phone. The picture folder currently contains 64 dark images of the contents of my pocket.

My contract ran out in August. Here it is nearly October and I still haven't replaced my broken phone. I can't make up my mind.

At first, the dilemma was whether to stick with the familiar and barely used flip phone or to upgrade to a smart phone. Going with the flip means opting out of progress. Going with the smart phone involves other risks, especially given my tendency to go a tad overboard.

After getting input from lots of you, I've made a decision. My next phone will be a smart phone. My fear of falling hopelessly far behind the technology curve exceeds my fear of becoming addicted to something else. The bottom line: I'm afraid I'll miss something if I don't upgrade.

Now to decide on a model...and a provider...and a plan. Making these kinds of decisions drives me crazy. Too many choices make me...

The Crotchety Old Man

1 comment:

CathyB said...

I like my Blackberry, though I rarely use all the extra stuff. I was especially glad to have it one time, though, when off on top of a remote mountain with no wi fi, my 3G signal did work. I was checking facebook and kept reading all these references to "pants on the ground". Fortunately one of my FB friends had posted the link, and I was able to watch the video so that I was no longer in the dark about POTG. Ahh. Technology is grand.

One advantage to a flip phone (or slider phone) is that the keys are not exposed to all the wear and tear of the various and sundry things in your pocket or my purse, and the screen is more protected. I think when i get another one, I'll get one that slides or flips. Just so long as I can check facebook or aol when i'm out of a wi fi area. I don't do the blog thing on the phone, because there's just too much crap on my blog, and it takes forever to load and view. my BB won't hold many pictures, but i think you can get some kind of card to go in it so it will hold more. or maybe i'm just not doing it right....

good luck with your choices, and congratulations on deciding to go with a smart phone. they really are cool.

 
Follow CrotchetyMan on Twitter