Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Late Winter Flowers--Revisited

As I wrote my recent post about Late Winter Flowers, I couldn't help but think about how nice a picture would be. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words. This is especially true when you're talking about flowers and other beautiful things.

So here's my first attempt at inserting a picture. Don't count on this to be a regular thing--I'm just not energetic enough to take and/or find the pictures I'd want to use! But I had to try to see how it worked. This is a large stand of hellebores in the center of my garden that blooms from December through March. I started out with three plants maybe 7 years ago and now have more than I could count.

Since the Late Winter Flower (LWF) entry, we had a bit of snow here in Athens. It started snowing around noon the Sunday after the LWF post, and by the time it finished we had something like seven inches of snow on the ground. Normally when we get snow, it's gone by noon. This snow stuck around for several days, especially in shady spots.

Much to my surprise, the snow and cold weather didn't seem to hurt any of the late winter bloomers in the yard. Some of the blossoms were hurt--by the cold, the weight of the snow or from a fallen branch--but most have been replaced since then with new blooms. Even the deciduous magnolias (stellata and loebner) are once again covered with blooms. What's not to like about flowers that can stand up to that kind of weather?

Maybe posting a picture wasn't so bad after all. I tried to add a second picture (of my loebner magnolia!) but it didn't work out. Frankly, I'm very proud of myself for figuring out how to delete the second picture since I didn't think to save before I tried inserting it. All this technological crap is just another reason I'm still...

The Crotchety Old Man

No comments:

 
Follow CrotchetyMan on Twitter