Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Resolution 2010: No More Resolutions

I've had the last week of the year off for more than 20 years. The university closes and the state provides holiday pay for the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. This year the Governor added two extra days (without pay). I took two vacation days resulting in two full weeks off. Merry Christmas to me!

The year-end holiday is a much-anticipated break from normal routines during an already busy time of year. The time off always goes faster than expected. I learned long ago not to set too ambitious an agenda. Going into the new year with unfinished projects leftover from the holiday break makes me feel behind right out of the gate. The whole year is shot before it even gets started.

The year-end break allows me to wrap up loose ends, get organized and otherwise prepare for the new year. The desk gets cleared off at home and at work. The house gets cleaned a bit more thoroughly than is possible the rest of the year. Closets and drawers are thinned to make room for holiday gifts.  Holiday decorations are taken down and stored for next year.  This year we even had time to paint a room.

The year-end break is also a time to reflect on the past with an eye toward the future.  It's a time to look at where I am in relation to where I want to be to make sure I keep moving forward.  The objectives and goals may change but the push for improvement never ends. Sometimes I think it's a curse.

The annual review always points to a number of New Year's resolutions. A resolution is something I should do because someone, somewhere told me it would make me a better person. Finding resolution-worthy things for me to tackle is as easy as shooting fish in a barrel. Keeping resolutions, alas, has never been my forte. I finally wised up and decided to quit making them. I felt better about myself immediately.

Happy New Year...

The Crotchety Old Man

No comments:

 
Follow CrotchetyMan on Twitter