Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Favorite Holiday

Among the lesser holidays, Groundhog Day has always been my favorite. Year after year I anxiously await the verdict. Will the groundhog see his shadow? Will spring arrive early?

Whether the groundhog saw his shadow or not really didn't change anything when I lived in Kentucky. Barring divine intervention, six more weeks of winter weather is guaranteed that far north. Even so, I never gave up hope. Miracles happen.

Decades of faith in the groundhog were rewarded when I moved to Georgia. Even in January we see at least a day or two with highs in the 60s between cold spells. By the end of March frost is possible but increasingly unlikely. Six more weeks of winter is possible, but not a given.

With the cold and rainy weather we've had I was doubly invested in the outcome this year. No shadows were seen by the local beasts--Gus here in Athens and General Beauregard Lee a few counties west of here. I'm thrilled.

The state climatologist says the local groundhogs didn't take El Nino into consideration. He predicted the drought was not over back in August, too. Since then we've had an extra 12 to 15 inches of rain.

Who are you going to believe? Him? I'll put my money on the groundhog and...

The Crotchety Old Man

No comments:

 
Follow CrotchetyMan on Twitter