Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fox News Makes My Blood Boil!

I accidentally stopped on Fox News--twice. I need to block it on my set before I have a conniption fit and my head explodes. The same with so called "conservative" talk shows on the radio.

The problem goes beyond bias. The commentators and pundits are mean-spirited bullies. It's fine to disagree with the opinions of others. But calling them names and otherwise taking pot shots and belittling people with different views is anti-American.

I think we should have "truth in broadcasting" laws for news shows that purport to be reporting on the facts. I also believe we should have "truth in campaigning" laws with severe penalties for violators. It's amazing to me that the Republicans apparently believe that if they say it often enough, it's true.

The huge crisis going on with financial markets is a direct result of Republican policies. They are all about deregulation--market forces will root out wrong-doers. They are all about businesses making money, and of course, those profits should not be taxed because that's a disincentive to productivity. Best of all, when these businesses fail because the greed got out of hand, they want us poor taxpayers to bail them out.

The thing that gets me the most is how these so-called conservatives refuse to let facts get in the way of their ill-conceived beliefs. I overhead an elderly couple talking (loudly as they were both more than a little hard of hearing) in the waiting room at the doctor's office a few weeks ago. He said he was terrified Obama was going to get elected and we'd all have to "turn Muslim." I'm guessing they regularly watch Fox and/or listen to crap on the radio like Dennis Miller or Rush Limbaugh.

I couldn't help myself. I said, "excuse me--I couldn't help but overhear--you DO know that Obama is Christian, don't you?" He turned purple and said "I don't want to hear it." God forbid the facts should get in the way of his opinion. I told him that dumbasses like him shouldn't be allowed to vote. Damn! How un-American is that? I should be ashamed...

But I'm not. Instead, I'm still...

The Crotchety Old Man

No comments:

 
Follow CrotchetyMan on Twitter