Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dealing with Deer

We have a lot of wildlife in our wooded subdivision. The incredible variety of birds is a plus. Some of the other critters aren't quite as welcome.

In the absence of predators and hunters, over the last 12 years the deer population in our subdivision has substantially increased. Instead of the overnight forays I used to see evidence of now and then, my garden has become a popular eating and recreation spot for an ever expanding herd.

This little shrub is about eight years old. It had leaves until the day we cut the ornamental grasses back that normally keep it hidden from view. Planted any place else and it would be three or four feet tall and at least as wide. Bless its heart.


Perhaps the unusually cold weather this winter reduced the available food supply. Or maybe the population growth is responsible for the excessive hunger. This is the first year the little buggers have gone for my tulips. On the right you can see the deer nibbled them nearly to the ground.


I have no idea what kind of recreational events take place. There are hoof prints and gouge marks all over the yard. Garden statues get knocked over...our local deer are clearly a rowdy bunch.


Given the size of the bucks I've seen, the over-sized prophylactics make sense. Fewer deer would be a good thing. Perhaps I should scatter more condoms throughout the garden of...

The Crotchety Old Man

1 comment:

Bigdaddyrr said...

My sister-in-law worked at the pharmacy at K-Mart years ago and I went there one time with the idea I would give her a hard time. When I asked if she had the Magnum size Trojans she replied, "Why do you care?"

 
Follow CrotchetyMan on Twitter