Sunday, February 27, 2011

Today in My Garden

Highs in the 70s all this week have really cranked things up in the garden. The pace of change has really picked up over the last couple of days. Here's what's happening today in my garden.

The hellebores are in full bloom. Locals may have gone to Hellebore Days at nearby Picadilly Farms this weekend to see thousands of these beautiful winter flowers at the peak of bloom. I have maybe 25 or 30 rather than thousands.


Early magnolias are starting to bloom, too. I'll share a picture of my pink one in a few days. Here's a nice shot of Magnolia stellata blossoms.


With the warm weather we've had the windows open. The six Daphne odoratas I planted across the front of the house haven't reached full bloom yet. These tiny little blossoms pack a powerful punch of a delightful fragrance.


Winter bulbs have taken off, too. Here you can see fragrant hyacinths, daffodils, crocus and a few grape hyacinths starting to bloom. I still have some cleaning up to do--the quick start caught me off guard!


I hear cold weather is still giving people fits elsewhere. For those of you vicariously enjoying spring through my blog, I'll keep the flower pictures coming. Just a little gift from...

The Crotchety Old Man

No comments:

 
Follow CrotchetyMan on Twitter