Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Today's Anti-Gay News

Remember Victoria Jackson? She was the dumb blond on Saturday Night Live ages ago. Today she's all over the news thumping her Bible, blasting Glee for the big gay kiss, and lamenting that her teenage daughter has nothing to watch on television.

Reports surfaced indicating Chick-Fil-A provided more than $1 million of support to anti-gay groups. I've met Stuart Cathey and because of all the work he does with orphans, frequented his restaurants. Having found out my money was subsequently used against me, there will be no more Chick-Fil-A for me.

Republican presidential-wannabes Mike Huckaby and Tim Pawlenty say if elected, they'll reinstate Don't Ask Don't Tell. Huckaby is the torch-bearer for religious conservatives. Both men are opposed to same-sex marriage--for religious reasons.

Today Bill Donohue, President of the Catholic League, denounced a proposed U.N. resolution supporting gay rights--for religious reasons. He's particularly concerned that adopting the language of the resolution will make it harder for states to reject same-sex marriage. I'm guessing he doesn't want to see priests leaving the church.

Various religious groups are organizing conferences and other forums to talk about the success gay activists have had in labeling them as haters. The groups have names like Focus on the Family, Americans for Truth, the Liberty Council and the Westboro Baptist Church. They whine about the power of gay activists, claim to be oppressed, and work diligently to make sure gay people remain second class citizens without the rights of our straight friends and neighbors.

Fortunately, I have many religious friends I admire and respect. If they agree with all the anti-gay rhetoric, they haven't said so around me. I'm inclined to believe they support my rights as an individual and would come to my wedding.

We have freedom of religion in this country which means you can believe whatever you want. So can I, and what I'd like more than anything is freedom from religion. I'm sick and tired of the hate-based rhetoric and the ignorance behind it. Your right to believe what you want stops when it interferes with my ability to live as...

The Gay Crotchety Old Man

1 comment:

CathyB said...

Preach it, COM! This is another subject that I totally (conveniently) disengage myself from as far as "religious" outlook on gay rights. I guess that's a pacifist cop-out no matter what side of the fence one sits on. My pastor just about fell out of his chair one day when I commented that I think there are far more pressing issues for "christians" to concern themselves with than who can visit whom in the hospital, and whether or not life partners can insure each other, or issues with same-sex marriage. I hate the haters. Makes us all look bad.

 
Follow CrotchetyMan on Twitter